Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Awkward Phase

Currently Craving: Rice Cereal ( i can't get enough)

a week ago monday i came home from teaching yoga at 8 at night and changed into my pajamas right away. max took one look at me and said 'You're pregnant!' and i totally was. my belly was completely hanging out there for the world to see. it was NOT like that before i left for yoga.

so it has officially hit. the awkward phase. i don't totally look pregnant pregnant, but there's definitely something going on. and my clothes still fit, but they fit funny and if i have anything fitted in the waist then after a while i start to feel like i'm bumping into the waistline and i have to unbutton myself. that happened last week on the way to and from visiting my sister in charlottte. after about an hour in the car i had to get more comfortable.

that said, the reality is setting in that my body is about to change big time! i am going to seriously expand and suddenly last night i was freaking out that i wasn't going to have anything to wear. if you know me, on the one hand you know i'm really not a worry about what i'm going to wear kind of person. well, not on a day to day basis. BUT also if you know me you know i'm completely a worry about what i'm going to wear kind of person especially as related to any sort of event or any sort of outing involving people who have a sense of style (something i was dreadfully born without)

the freak out has been coming on in stages. first i got invited to max's cousin's wedding shower in the middle of may. i might normally have a little anxiety about what to wear because his family all dress so beautifully, but this time i was confronted with the knowledge that i will have to be dressed, but i have NO IDEA how big i'll actually be by then. so a few days ago i checked my closet and tried on some things. even found some pants that fit, but that's still 4 weeks away. will it still fit???

then i started packing for the trip to visit Lizard and again was hit with the wonderment of what to take. the weather was supposed to be warm and as i was looking at my summer clothes all i saw was a pile of teeny-tiny tee-shirts that will NEVER work with this awkward belly. (sigh) guess those aren't coming out this year.

and in charlotte the three of us walked into a great maternity store. it was pretty sweet because it had things from all the maternity shops all in one place. and i walked around looking at paneled jeans and maternity tankinis with my jaw hanging open and a feeling of "what am i supposed to do here?" i did not buy anything. saved by the fact that my belly is still small... but for how long.

today i put on pants that have always had a funny wide waistline, but they stay up fine and while i'm sitting to type, there's a little pressure on this belly. and yesterday i noticed in the mirror in the bathroom at the yoga studio, my pants were a little snug around the bum. might be time for retirement soon.

and so FREAK OUT. What the heck am i going to wear all HOT summer long in richmond???


ENTER mom and dad and my birthday present. a sweet gift certificate for clothes. so this afternoon i spent a while online dream shopping and running up a $500 bill for maternity clothes(of course i didn't actually BUY all those things). after that little fit, i backed off, got real, and picked out a just few essentials that will calm me down until i head out to bargain shop in an actual store. so in the next few days i expect some maternity jeans, shorts, pants, a skirt and a top to arrive on my door step. hopefully they will come before the grapefruit in my abdomen requires me to resort only to sweat pants or a mumu. those would not be comfortable for summer.

4 comments:

Pack said...

Hey Sarah, I got some good jeans from Babystyle.com. No panels or anything, and pretty comfortable. I also looked at Victoria's Secret online (seriously), and bought a lot of cropped sweaters and tops to go over tank tops, and some "workout" skirts that had a really LONG waistband that you're supposed to fold over, but I just pulled up over my belly. I also bought shirts that had shirring on the sides (is that the right word? I mean where they bunch it all up on the sides with elastic). All that stuff was non-maternity!

Kirsten Oliphant said...

Hey you! I'm still having the clothes crisis--it's like you need new things every few weeks towards the end. Yuck! (That's partly why I'm not leaving the house anymore--I refuse to buy more clothes and none of my shirts fit over my belly.) But. For jeans, the best kind are the kind with this thing called the Secret Fit Belly--I've totally blogged way too much about this. Seriously I will never buy another type of maternity pants again. Many stores have this patented design, but the cheapest place I found is Motherhood Maternity, which I don't love for much else. Anyway, the belly panel is almost sheer, soft and breathable and thin enough to not be seen, but stretchy enough to hold up those suckers. Some panelled ones really killed my stomach, like cutting it in half. Anyway, there's my two cents. And I bought lots of long shirts and tanks and wore those. Old navy maternity is great if you just want tee's.

Anonymous said...

Emily agrees with Kiki! Secret Fit Belly -it's what I'm wearing right now. And I'll tell you - this is my third pregnancy and I would never go back to any of the other stuff.

dancingyogini said...

i SO LOVE that everyone jumped in on this one. i don't know where the motherhood maternity is in richmond (short pump) but i have a feeling i'll be heading there very soon. secret fit belly is my new goal. THANKS!!!!