Saturday, June 4, 2011

Colorado Trip part 1

Last week Sabine and I took our first Mother/Daughter plane trip out to Colorado to visit with my brother and his family. I was a little worried about flying with her by myself. But I am very lucky that girl loves to fly and to travel. She spent most of the time grabbing me to look out the window at "the wings!" or "the Engines!" "do you see the airplanes?!?" Then once we were in flight she just settled in and looked at books or colored or listened to music. She took a nap on the naptime flight and then fell asleep about 10 minutes before touchdown on the evening flight (of course).
Unfortunately when we first got there she had a fever which persisted until the next morning. I might not have done much about it other than Advil except that Max just had strep throat and I didn't want to risk it. So we spent Friday morning in the doc-in-the-box doing fun things like getting a urine sample and throat swab just to be told it was a virus and there was nothing they could do. I have a pet peeve about doctors doing two things. first, they tell you how you're in the right place because if you went to the ER (or wherever they aren't) your treatment and the procedures they would do on you would be much worse. And second, I hate it when they tell me that it's worse on me (the parent) than the child. Yeah, really? I'll just hold you down and give you a catheter with no explanation you could possibly understand and see how you feel about it. I think it was worse on Sabine than on me, and it certainly wasn't easy on me. That said, the doctor was actually nice and thorough and after the drama of being there Sabine got well with a little more Advil and was able to enjoy the trip.
So here are some photos from the first bit of the trip:

Chocolate covered pretzels on the plane

Almost time to touchdown

The girls in the back of Chris and Jin's Jeep (poor fever girl)

Feeling better, Rocking out on Izzy's play microphone (video to come, no worries)

Girls having ice cream and watching Olivia together. Ah! It's great to have a cousin.
Much more to come.

No comments: