Monday, September 17, 2012

Back to Nancy

(14 weeks, 3 days)

I had my first appointment with Nancy this morning.  Finally! After all of this time of being pregnant, I get to be with Nancy again.  Hooray!  I think women in RVA get pregnant for their 2nd 3rd 4th times just to get to be with Nancy.  She's awesome.

So I was pulling up to her house when she called me to say I was LATE!  Yikes!  Somehow my brain thought the appointment was half an hour later than it was.  Luckily, this is my second time around so it wasn't such a huge big deal, we just booked through everything.

Went in and did my loo run and weight check.  Then sat down.  She checked me right away and said that I measured exactly right for my dates.  Then she checked the baby.  First of all we commented on how right in front and right out there the baby is as a 2nd baby.  Then she got out the doppler.  First we heard a big kick, and then she eventually found the heartbeat - at almost 160 (more than Babe ever was).

Then questions.  Mine and hers for me.  I asked about travel because we still want to get away this winter and she told me to cut off flying by 32 weeks.  She told me a story about one of her mamas who recently took a plane ride.  When the plane dropped altitude the woman passed out, vomited, and wet herself.  They thought her water broke so they landed the plane and then she was put on a no-fly list.  Uh. Yeah, that doesn't sound fun!

She asked if I'd been feeling little kicks and I think actually I have.  Just faintly and not often.  I can definitely tell when the baby is in a new position because of the way it sticks out of my body wherever it is.

All of my blood work and stuff from the initial visit with the nurse practitioner was fine.

Then Nancy mainly went over what to eat and what not to eat.  And she said I should try to go as organic as possible, and to eat seasonally.  She wants me to add fish oil and probiotics around 20 weeks.  Also now she said they're wanting women to make sure they're getting enough vitamin D in pregnancy and while nursing.  It's good for both Mom and Baby.  So that means time outside in the sunshine for 10-20 minutes daily with no sunscreen.  Or, as the weather gets colder, a supplement of about 1000-2000 IUs daily.  She doesn't want me to add this stuff or the prenatal tea until about 20 weeks when all of the nausea and sick feeling has gone, because if I have one bad burp of any of it I'll be turned off and not want to take it for the rest of the pregnancy.

Another interesting topic for us to discuss was the flu shot.  I didn't have to worry about it last time because she was an October baby, but this time, especially with Sabine in preschool, it's something to consider.  She gave me some alternatives too though for good self-care during flu season.  She also said I can wait and see for a while and see what the season is starting to look like.

We ended our half session with her giving me a folder of information including contact phone numbers, approved OTC medicines, and the consent form.  We set a date in October for the next appointment and she even told me how to set up the 20 week ultrasound sometime in mid-October.  That seems so soon, but I guess I'm a tiny bit later starting with Nancy this time than before.  We still have a while to go.

-----

Then the mother duties just didn't stop as in the afternoon Sabine had a fever and complained of an earache.  Of course it was just after our Dr. office closed.  So we went to KidMed, which is like a patient first for kids.  They were lovely and the checked her ears and throat and pronounced no infections there, probably just a virus.  By the time she had some dinner she was bouncing off the walls but started to go down again by bedtime.   A little motrin and off to bed for her.

And now off to bed for ME!  plenty to do tomorrow!

No comments: