Monday, December 17, 2012

Nancy visit 27 weeks

(27 weeks, 3 days)

I'm making myself feel a little less guilty that I"m blogging so infrequently about this pregnancy by thinking that it'll be a boy so he'll care a lot less than a more sentimental girl would care.  who knows.

Also, I'm less open to commentary which means, I'm less open to sharing much this pregnancy.

BUT.  I do want a record, and I do want to share at least a little bit.

So this was my 4th visit to Nancy.  It came after the birth of my brother's daughter by C-section last week,  here in town.  Darling baby, I have to say, and wonderful parents, of course.

Monday.  Monday afternoon is not the time to have an appointment with Nancy.  She's swamped and is running behind most days. Plus she's getting bazillions of phone calls from folks who didn't call over the weekend.  I think I'm her last patient and she zips through because as she says "You're easy" and she always thanks me for being so.  I guess I am easy, but sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease, maybe I need to squeak more often.  I'm changing days starting in January though.  It's fine.  And there's really nothing much to talk about just now.  Well, except that I feel like I've forgotten everything I need to know.

But when I first came in she told me I looked pretty.  That was nice. She is so much about business most of the time, so it was an unexpected complement.  She said I looked like the holiday season wasn't making me too crazy. What was interesting was that I'd just been sitting in her waiting area for the last 20 minutes and thinking about how I disliked the hand-me-down clothes I was wearing.  Especially the top which came from a stranger and is too big.  How I'd rather go buy what I want to wear but don't want to spend the money when I'll only wear it a few more weeks.  And that I wished I could wear the dress I'd gotten for Thanksgiving that is pretty darn awesome.  Maybe I just need to wear it in a casual way all through my pregnancy.  I could do it.  Anyway.  I think it was the combination of hair down, brown shirt and these bright gold earrings that went well together.  Nice to be told that these days for sure.  Especially since I pretty much live in my sweatshirt most of the day.

We spent some time talking about the birth of my niece and about how nice it was for me to get to go and hold her when she was just barely a day old.   Nancy encouraged me to go to birth circle and hear some home birth stories too.  (I haven't been at all yet because I work on the same night it happens, but I might be able to sneak in late tomorrow)

She set my appointments from here on out and she gave me the drink for the glucose test which I'll need to do next time.  Ugh.

I asked her if my hormones are shifting now because suddenly I'm feeling a little more almost morning sickness-ish, and way more TIRED.  Like I'm made of lead.  After checking in that I'm taking all my supplements she did assure me that YES hormones are changing.

Then she asked if I'd been feeling more irritable.  (uh, yeah)  And she said because it's a boy there's testosterone floating around in there and that could lead me to feel cranky.  Crazy!  Our bodies are crazy!  But that gives me ammunition to feed my brain - and excuse to feel and behave irritably.  I'll have to work hard to keep that in check.

And of course she checked baby brother.  He was in the perfect position this time!  Praise Shiva/Shakti.  The last two times anyone saw me they immediately said "oh, he's breech!" Well. that got me all worried about a C-section, which is something I never even considered with Sabine.  Luckily I knew he had plenty of time to turn, and I feel kicks all over my belly which is also a good sign.
But today. head down in the perfect spot, and a little foot up under my right ribs.  As soon as she put the doppler on him to listen to his heart he gave a startled kick, and another on the second attempt.  So she said 'well, we know he can hear' which was no surprise given that he responds to me reading and singing to Sabine by throwing a party in there.

Nothing massive at this appointment.  And she let me go with instructions for the drink and an appointment in January.  After that I'll start going every other week already.

I'm just reaching this point of realization that I'm into the third trimester starting this weekend and we have SO much to do.  We have a ton to do physically, and I have a lot of psychological prep to do too. But.  This baby will come and we'll be as ready as we can be.  From there we'll just have to roll with whatever life has to offer.  The adventure begins again!

No comments: