Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A day in the life: Eli at 7 weeks

I think it's really interesting to be able to look back in the blog and read about how things are going generally in our lives at any moment in time.  So this is a snapshot of Eli's "regular" day at 7 weeks

He wakes up any time from 6-7:30 and I encourage him to get up around 7 or 7:30
so

7 or 7:30 Nurse, hang out in bed with the rest of the family because Sabine comes in to meet us and have a morning story.
 8ish - go downstairs for a diaper change and hanging out we eat and until Sabine goes to school
8:45 ish - Nap

Here is the question. He will either sleep for 45 minutes to an hour, or will sleep for almost 2 hours. I never know

After the first nap he has his big activity of nursing, diaper change, and getting dressed for the day.  He likes having his clothes off and takes that time to get really excited and mobile.  He tends to "go for a run" at this time.  He moves his legs rhythmically one then the other, his arms are synchronized to the opposite leg, and he breaths heavily with excitement.  It's super cute and funny.  He really looks like he's trying to get somewhere. I may also try to get him to do some tummy time around then.

After that nap, the rest of the day is a cycle of Eat, be awake for a little while, get a little cranky and go back to sleep for a nap.  During his awake time he usually parties with his diaper changes, sits on the changing table looking at the mobile or is carried around.  I'm challenged because a lot of time he's doing great and in a good mood staring at the ceiling fan in my bedroom after a diaper change but if I try to move him to the floor to look at different toys or to take him downstairs to the floor where I could do something else with him nearby he starts to have a fit and then is cranky for a while.

He usually only gives me one good long nap a day and the rest of the time he does 30 to 45 minutes sometimes an hour.  At his age he could start to do 2 or 3 hour and a half naps.  But we haven't gotten there yet.
I try to get him a nap around 5 or 6.  Then after family dinner we've been trying to get outside for a walk. He rides in the bjorn carrier with Max.
7:15ish he nurses while Sabine has her bedtime story and routine. Then he hangs out with Max while I get Sabine into bed.
Then is party time again. I change his diaper and he gets really active.  He goes for a run and breathes heavy again.  It's really funny.  I change him into his pjs and once he gets a little cranky from his run I've been taking him downstairs so I can sit on the sofa and he nurses off to sleep.

On a good night he's in bed around 8:30 or so.  Then I hear from him at about 12:45, 2 and 4:30  or something like 11:45, 1, and 3:30 to nurse.  Hopefully then only a little whimper and diaper change around 5am and back to sleep until 7:30 when we start all over again.

No comments: