Sunday, May 8, 2011

Travels


For the past two weekends Sabine and I have been on two little mini-trips. It's always a struggle for us because I teach yoga on Sunday mornings and am only allowed to miss so many classes. I want to be away and to spend time with family, but I also feel an obligation to be home for my students. So, Sabine and I take mini-trips during the week until Saturday afternoon to be able to be with those we enjoy.

Two weeks ago we went to Roanoke to visit with Mamaboo and Granddadddy. We had the added treat of seeing Mary Heath (my Godsister) and her daughter Lillian. Lillian will be 1 next month and this was the first time Sabine was around a baby for any length of time. I think the best part for me, other than the actual visiting time, was not having to cook or do dishes AND getting to take a nap on Friday afternoon. Sabine seemed to love every minute of being with Mamaboo and Granddaddy. On Friday during the day we went to the Mill Mountain Zoo and were the first ones of the season to ride the train.... see photos below. The funniest moment of the trip came during dinner Friday night. Lillian was on the floor tearing up magazines to keep herself entertained, all the grown-ups were around the table and Sabine was finally done eating (it was round 2 dinner by then). So Sabine got up from her seat and walked around to Lillian and quite insisted: "Let's go PLAY! C'mon, let's go PLAY!" Sigh, only a few more months and I'm sure she'll be ready to play. It was great fun and I hope we'll visit with all again very soon.


Then, this weekend was Max's high school reunion in Philadelphia. We took the opportunity to visit with his grandparents. Sabine sang for the entire 4+ hour drive up there and fell asleep as we got off the exit to go to our hotel (convenient, don't you think). Then we went for a visit with Granny and Pop. Sabine was mesmerized as always and was particularly drawn in by Granny having a Tom Kitten toy (from the Peter Rabbit series). Tom Kitten got to come and sleep with her at the hotel ("and he slept in his clothes!!!").
In the morning we went for an 8am swim. I didn't really want to throw on a bathing suit just then, but I figured we'd be the only ones in the pool, it didn't really matter... and that was true. Only, the hotel gym was right there with all the treadmills facing the window overlooking the pool and all the men there running on the treadmills staring at us. nice. oh well. Yesterday morning after our swim we went out to the Camden Aquarium. It was nice but no dolphins or whales which is what Sabine wanted to see. She did enjoy the seal show but was a little scared inside because it was pretty dark. If you ever have the chance to go there there they have a pretty amazing shark tank. you can even go swimming with sharks if you're over 12 years old. Then another lunch with Granny and Pop and then Sabine and I got back on the road and Max headed out to the reunion. Lucky for me Sabine slept from PA to just south of the Beltway this time and I didn't have to drive and entertain her the whole time. Whew!




No comments: